SBC Micro Browser App for Windows by Saia-Burgess Controls AG
The SBC Micro Browser App is a small browser application which runs on windows based operating systems. It allows to operate web based applications created with the Saia PG5® Web Editor5/Web Editor8 and stored on a Saia PCD® Device. The web-/IT interfaces are integrated in the basic system of all Saia PCD® controllers The integrated station list makes it easy to navigate fast between different web servers, or allows to create user specific access on one overview page to different parts in an application, system or device. The Micro Browser App includes the following features.
•Visualization of web applications created with the Saia PG5® Web Editor5/Web Editor8.
•Print of the current visible window content
•Screen Capture of the current visible window content
•Different scaling modes “Auto resize”, “Best fit” and “Fixed size”
•Support of web based Alarming and Trending functionality's.
•The visualization application is fully stored on the remote server.
Micro Browser App for Windows
Micro Browser App for Windows
|Software||Micro Browser App for Win||Micro Browser App for Windows|
Installation and licensing
The installation and licensing is very simple and can be done by the user independently.
The app can be used without licensing in a demo-mode (after 15 minutes, the app automatically terminates).
Procedure for installation and registration:
1. Download the app from the support page, copy it to the Windows PC and launch SBC_MicroBrowser.exe
2. Click the link for registration and perform registration on licensing server:
3. Confirm licensing in received email
4. Enter received license code and the MB app is ready to use
The license code is based on the hardware. That when the PC is changed, the MB-app must be licensed again by the method described above.
Compatibility Java and Micro-Browser App
The Micro-Browser app behaves like the MB apps for Android and iOS and supports the same functionality. It may be used for the display and operation of PCD Web applications, which have been created with the SBC Web Editor.
Minor differences between the browser using Java (IMaster.jar) and Micro-Browser regarding presentation of web pages and individual objects can not be excluded.
The "look and feel" between the Micro-Browser panels PCD7.D4xx and the MB app are the same.
The Micro-Browser app can be started with command line arguments to a URL (SBC_MicroBrowser.exe http ://184.108.40.206/start.html). By this a call from other applications is possible. In addition, also third party applications (via internal container) can be started from the MB app. If a URL Jump is made to a page which does not contain PCD Web-application (e.g. PDF document), a default browser with the corresponding URL is called.
The Micro-Browser app runs on a Windows PC (Windows W7, W8, W8.1 …) with x86 CPU 32-bit or 64-bit.
At least 100MB free memory space is required.
- Fix with MBox.teq and scale factor, on saving Alarm/Trend files
- Fix rendering issues of transparent GIF images
- Fix issues with some GIF images not detected as transparent
- Fix scaling issues with transparent GIF images placed over other painters
- Support new argument -i number, to keep the position of the window, depending on the MicroBrowser
instance number (Stored in the registry under the name WP, WP1, WP2, WP3)
- Support new feature to write directly the key hit on keyboard, directly in the Keypad/Alphapad TEQ files
(if sip is null)
- Support new container variable "MB_Keyboard_FKeyEvents" to enable/disable the new feature
- Support new parameter in xml file "keypad_direct_edit" to enable/disable the new feature
- Support of https
- Don't wait more than 2 seconds to close the app
- Save last status bar and tool bar visible states in the registry
- Supports both xml file format with <station> ... </station> and <url> ... </url>
- Show the right version number in http header (User-Agent: SBC_MicroBrowser/V.220.127.116.11)
- Show OEM customer name in log-file and in About dialog
- Improves performance with fast access on Ramdisk
- Change default value mfc_http_en = 3 for both CGI and files
- Fix crash issue when using extremly long file names (CSV) in html parameters
- Supports at least 10'000 objects for MicroBrowser-XP and 5'000 for CE
- Supports multiple occurrences of PPO variables in HTML tag, like "@PPO_var1@ @PPO_var2@", even if ppo
variables are not referenced in the view.
- Fix buffer overflow issue in loading TEQ file while parsing multiple @PPO_name@ in HTML tags
- Improves Drop-Down-List with the support of drag events for the selection of the item and to scroll the list.
- Don't show the Warning Button if Message Box is disabled, with empty "MessageBox" parameter in html file.
- Supports translation of error messages like "Invalid entry!" or "Value out of range!"
- Show right version for Windows 10 and show platform (x86) in log file and in CO "MB_OS_NAME"
- Supports negative values for coordinator in TEQ file
- Save configuration file if old version found.
- Supports until 400 stations
- Fix issues global TCR formatting and min/max check, with resolved PCD variable name, with indexed variables (@CO)
- Supports entering time value like "0:59" or ":59" instead of "00:59"
- Supports entering date value like "1:12:16" instead of "01:12:16"
- Fix issue with FKEY released lost, if any other key is pressed in the meantime.
- Fix issue with horizontal slider using integer values
- Encode 0x7F char in URL
- Increase the max number of container variables from 10000 to 50000.
- Bug fix in Alarming 2, with colors depending on group greater than 8.
- Increase the number of columns from 20 to 40 for the FileViewer painter
- Supports TCR file in utf-8
- Bug fix in alarming macro with alarm texts defined in CSV file
- Display password PCD Variable/CO with "****", in button and drop-down-list painters.
- PCD Symbols containing offsets doesn’t work
- FileViewer doesn’t work
- Trouble when SBC MB App is used on PC’s with two screens
S-Web Technology / ADSL
How to set up DynDNS on a router? (FAQ #101197)
For connecting a PCD to the internet a router is required. In case this router "knows" a DynDNS service, it is possible to find this this router by name.
The attached document contains an example of a step by step procudure for configuring dynamic DNS on a router (which "knows" DynDNS).
- Note that the choice of the router or the DynDNS service from this document is sheer coincicence and does not mean that only this router works with PCD systems.
- Saia-Burgess Controls AG can not give support for the router configuration or the DynDNS setup. For support request regarding the router functionality or DynDNS please contact the according provider.
How to know the IP Address of a device addressed with an URL? (FAQ #101064)
The use of DNS (Domain Name Service) is very convenient for remembering the address of a host (e.g. a PCD3 connected to the internet with a DSL router). However, in some cases it is necessary to know the IP address of this host rather than the domain name.
How to translate the URL of a host to its IP address?
This task can be done by the tool "nslookup" which is installed on every Windows system:
- Open the DOS console (from the "Windows Start menu" select "Run..." and type in "cmd")
- Type in the the instruction
(don't forget the point after the URL)
As response you will receive the IP address of the requested name. In the screenshot above the IP address of the host "durrer.dyndns.tv" is 18.104.22.168.
How to connect a PCD behind an (A)DSL router? (FAQ #101007)
As a PCD system does feature various "Internet communication features" (Web Server, Ether-S-Bus, SMTP etc.), it suggests itself to connect it to the Internet using e.g. an (A)DSL router. This FAQ is aimed to explain some key-points to be considered for accessing a PCD over the Internet.
For connecting a PCD to the internet using an ADSL router, the principal understanding of the functionality and tasks of a router need to be understood. In a second step, the communication protocol for the connection is to be defined because
every of the following protocols does require other configurations of the router. The attached document tries to explain the router functionality and tries to point out relevant information for connecting a PCD to the Internet and realizing the communication over the following protocols:
- http direct (for accessing the Web Server of the PCD, don't forget the password protection of the Web Server)
- Ether-S-Bus (not recommended unless you are using a secure VPN connection)
- for programming the PCD with PG5
- for connecting a PCD which does not feature http direct with WebConnect)
- SMTP (for sending EMails from the PCD)
For each of these protocols, please refer to the corresponding chapter in the attached document.
Important remark concerning security
Please consider the fact that the connectivity of a PCD on the internet does also mean that everyone can connect to the system. Therefore the interfaces over which the PCD can be reached from the internet need to be protected additionally (if the web server can be reached from the internet and no security is implemented, everyone can e.g. modify Register values on the PCD which can lead to malfunction of the application).
We therefore recommend whenever possible to use a VPN connection rather than just forwardig ports.
If this is not possible:
- Enable the password protection of the S-Web server (this can be configured in the PG5 Device Configurator)
Note that the password macro in the Web Editor does NOT secure the access to the media of the PCD (but only the access to the Web Editor Pages)
- Remove the default user "root" from the FTP server (can also be done in the PG5 Device Configurator)
- Do not enable Ether-S-Bus unless the PCD is connected over a VPN connection only (because even with the password protection of S-Bus will still allow everyone to modify media values as e.g. Register Values)
How I have to configure my ADSL router? (FAQ #100454)
The settings of the ADSL router which we do use in Murten are shown on the attached document.
Depending on your configuration and your needs you have to adapt the settings of the ADSL router.
How can I know the TCP/IP address of a public e-mail server? (FAQ #100453)
The instruction nslookup allows to find out the TCP/IP address of a public e-mail server.
To know the e-mail address of a public e-mail server enter the following string on the command window of windows.
After this you have to enter the smtp address of the e-mail server.
(On the example below it's the address smtp.green.ch)
The TCP/IP address of the e-mail server is shown on the next line below the name of the smtp server.
(On the example below it's the address 22.214.171.124)
Experiences with ADSL Routers (FAQ #100203)
For our Webserver Demo installation we have worked with different ADSL Routers, none of which was perfect.
Our Webserver Demo installation is connected to the Internet via an ADSL Link on an ISDN line, which is provided by www.green.ch. This provider offers fixed IP addresses for a good price and can be recommended vividly to all Swiss Customers.
Criterias to choose an ADSL Router
- you need to know whether an analogue or ISDN version is required (depends on the telephone line)
- it must support "nailed up connections", which means that if the internet connection is not closed periodically and if for some reason the connection gets lost anyway, the Router re-establishes the connection
- it should contain a firewall
- it should support address translation, so you can route telegrams to port 80 to the PC with WebConnect and telegrams to port 5050 to a PCD directly. Other ports should be blocked inwards
- an integrated switch is quite useful
Zyxel Prestige 650 ME-I
- does not support nailed up connections, so you need to run a software on the frontend PC which simulates Web traffic (for instance come.to/StayAlive ), to make sure the installations stays available from outside. Without such a tool the Router closes the Internet connection after a while and you cannot access the frontend PC or PCD anymore until you create Web traffic on the PC
- user friendly configuration tool
Zyxel Prestige 650 H-I
- nice product with rich features, 4 Port Switch, supports nailed up connections. Didn't work in our installation, Web traffic was only possible from the LAN to the WAN, but not vice versa, independent of the firewall configuration
- user friendly configuration tool
Devolo Microlink ADSL Modem Router
- nice product with rich features, 4 Port Switch, supports nailed up connections. Blocks periodically in our installation, a power down / power up is necessary to re-establish the Internet connection. Since we cut the supply of the unit for a moment at noon, the product works fine...
- very bad documentation, configuration tool is not user friendly, not suitable for people that configure an ADSL Router for the first time
- we bought standard low price Routers, which are designed to let a workgroup share an Internet connection. With the Webserver we use the product the other way around, which can cause problems with some products
- do not expect to get useful support from the suppliers of ADSL Routers in this class. If the product does not work in your installation, it is worth returning it and try another model from the same or from another manufacturer
- using an output of the PCD to cut the supply of the Router periodically has proved to be a good idea. The cheap routers are usually used in an environment where somebody can interact easily in case of problems (private use at home), for Webserver applications in the field this is not always that easy
S-Web Technology / Android- and iPhone Apps
Why does suddenly the Microbrowser-App on my iOS Apple device or Android device not work anymore, error message ‘unable to Verify App’ is shown on the device? (FAQ #102023)
Since early 2018, Apple and Android have changed the rules for the checking the licensing of their Apps. If the device is not connected to Internet for a period of time, the license on the device is disabled and it’s no longer possible to use the App until the device is reconnected to the Internet/App store and the device is re-licensed.
An Error message will be displayed.
Unable to Verify App
A connection to the App Store is required for the first launch of ‘SBC Micro Browser’ on this iPad.
Please connect to the internet and try again.
Before 2018 it was possible to install and license once the application on the devices and then operate the devices without Internet connection in offline mode.
Since early 2018, the device needs to connect from time to time to Internet to verify the license on the App store.
If this check is not performed in a regularly, then the license on the device will be disabled and it will be no longer possible to use the App until the device is connected again to Internet/App store and the device is relicensed.
This are Apple/Android rules over which SBC has no control.
To solve the issue:
For Android and iOS devices:
The Web-Editor 8 which is included in PG5 2.3 (or newer) allows the generation of HTML5 compatible web pages.
To avoid this problem, the web pages stored in the PCD can be displayed in a 'standard web browser' in HTML5 format on the Android or iOS device instead of using an MB app.
For Android devices:
Status august 2018: not possible to use the MB-App for longer time in Offline mode:
SBC will provide an MB-App that allows the Android devices to run in offline mode without Internet connection.
This FAQ will be updated as soon as the new version of the MB-App will be available.
For iOS devices:
Longer use of the MB-App on the devices in offline mode without an Internet connection will remain not possible.
Why after a update of the Microbrowser Android app to the version 2.0.0_4 the error message 'file not found' is shown? (FAQ #101918)
It could happen that the message 'File not found' is shown on the microbrowser app on your smartphone/handheld when trying to display the web-pages stored on the PCD.
Since the version 2.0.0_4 of the android microbrowser app, it's necessary to write the whole path in to the connection settings.
Please enter the whole path into the connect area like following example:
Is it possible to increase the Heap size for the SBC Micro Browser App for Android smartphones/tablet? (FAQ #101851)
When you make frequently logs and create a file only every week it is possible that you get the message “File is too big for the heap” on the Micro Browser App on the Android smartphone/tablet.
It's possible to increase the Heap by modifying the file uBrowser.xml which is stored on the smartphone/tablet.
To do this connect the smartphone to the computer and export all config files with the app menu button (Options-> Export Files to SD card).
The config files are saved in the internal flash in the folder “Download”.
Take the file uBrowser.xml and copy it to the computer, open the file and mofify the parameters.
After that save the file in the same folder “Download” of the smartphone and import all config files with the app menu button (Options-> Import Files from SD card)
For info, since V.126.96.36.199 (26.04.2013) of the Micro Browser App, the default heap sizes are defined like that:
// Heap for memory allocation of painter objects
#define MYHEAPSIZE1_KB 2048
// Heap for memory allocation of HTML tags and CO
#define MYHEAPSIZE2_KB 2048
// Heap for Macro Offline Trends and HDLog Trends (4MB instead of 1MB)
#define MYHEAPSIZE3_KB 4096
// For Macro online trends (4MB instead of 1MB)
#define MYHEAPSIZE4_KB 4096
Is there an Android application to display S-Web editor projects on Android devices? (FAQ #101794)
Yes, it is available under:
Why can't I see the content of the PCD WebServer on my Android- or iPhone App? (FAQ #101777)
In a usual Web-Browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari etc.) running on a PC, the content of the PCD WebServer is displayed by simply typing the IP-Address of the PCD into the URL field. With iPad-, iPhone-, iPod- and Android Apps, the procedure is slightly different.
With iPad-, iPhone-, iPod- and Android Apps it is mandatory to type as well "http://" before the IP-Address of the PCD.
Software (except PG5) / MicroBrowser App for Windows
How I can start directly a web project from the Micro Browser App for Windows? (FAQ #101969)
You want that your web project is displayed directly on the display by starting the Micro Browser App for Windows and you do not need the configuration page for different stations. There is also a possibility to start the project directly in the Autostart on Windows startup.
Create a *.bat file which does include the following instruction.
Firstly create a new Text document. In my example I named it start.txt.
Afterwards put the following text in the file:
start C:\User\UserXY\Desktop\SBC_MB_V138.2\SBC_MicroBrowser.exe http ://172.23.16.121/start.htm
The green part is the path where the Micro Browser application is stored. The blue part is the web project which you want to start (IP Address with html file).
Save the file. Rename the file from start.txt to start.bat. Afterwards start your web project directly by double click on the *.bat file. If you want to start the application directly on windows startup, put this file in the folder Autostart.
Note: The “kiosk” mode which is known in the Windows CE and Windows7 panels does not exist on the Micro Browser App for Windows. You do not have the option to display the web project in Full screen mode.